Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Extraordinary faith of the Centurion






 Luke 7:1-10

The Faith of the Centurion

7 When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. 2 There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. 3 The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. 4 When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, 5 because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” 6 So Jesus went with them.

He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. 7 That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

9 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.” 10 Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.



Roman Centurion is Gentile (non Jew),  and he was compassionate to his servant. In olden days, the servants are bought for a price and they are the task masters for their masters. And he even helped the Jews in building their synagogue. Gentile Centurion was unworthy in the worldly standard, but was worthy in the Divine standard of Jesus Christ. Jesus says I tell you not even in Israel have I found such faith. 


Compassion and Humility

“Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.”

Often times, we have felt times where we are not worthy in the eyes of the world, family or friends, but because of HIS grace we become precious and valuable.


Recognizing our imperfection is important, and that helps us to surrender to GOD.


Roman centurion is acknowledging that he is sinful and that he is not worthy to be inviting Jesus into his soul.


Comparing Centurion and the Tax collector, they both were acknowledging the fact that they are sinners. Tax collector went home justified and the centurion's servant got healed completely due to his strong faith.


In our daily life, we need to transform to be compassionate to human beings,  ask forgiveness for our sins and the Lord will be compassionate and merciful to us.


Accept Authority and Strong faith

“For I too am a man under authority,” 

A high ranking military official in Roman empire is acknowledging the authority of Jesus. The one with authority has Power, Influence and followers who obey them.   


Jesus was amazed at the Centurion's extraordinary faith. People who followed him, saw the miracles, healing didn't have a faith 


Centurion is a good example to follow in our life. Though having a high position in society, great respect, authority and wealth in his life, he had humility and stronger faith in Jesus. He openly acknowledges that he is unworthy.


“He is worthy to have you do this for him” 

We need to pray to GOD so that our daily life is worthy to be in the eyes of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parable of the sower

 Luke 8:4-6 4  While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable:   5  “A farmer ...